05 March 2010

Midgett Adventures~ #17 Busy, Busy, Busy!

February 6, 2010

Life has been very busy lately, and I find that I never seem to find too many dull moments. This past week a normal day rather looked something like this:

6am-Wake up, get dressed, eat breakfast, and read my Bible
7am-Go to helm & look out watch for four hours
11:30am-Eat Lunch
12:30pm-Quarters (everyone on board musters/gathers on the flight deck for accountability and to hear the pass down from the CO & XO)
1~4pm-Finish up the workday, study, do clean ups, boat lowering detail, etc.
5pm-Eat dinner
6pm-Study for my helm & look out practical and oral board
7pm- Go to helm & look out watch for four hours
12am-Hit the rack

I do get a lot more down time here and there now as opposed to when I was mess cooking; but the double watches can be kind of exhausting. I do enjoy watch. When I am at the helm, I am the one steering the ship as the CONN gives me helm commands. They will sometimes say, “Helmsman right standard rudder.” And I will say, “Right standard rudder aye.” It is fun but at times, it can be quite stressful. I really enjoy lookout because we are up on the flying bridge (our version of a crows nest) keeping a look out for contacts. I enjoy the fresh air and being out under the stars.

I did pass my Basic Damage Control test, which means that once I am qualified in helm and look out I can put my name on the “A” school list come the beginning of March. I have had a change in plans as far as what rate (job) I want to go. I had been thinking Yeoman (more administrative work), but now I have changed my mind and am going Boatswains Mate like my dad. God used this passed month to direct me away from going Yeoman and think about going in a different direction. Boatswains Mates are in charge of the upkeep of the boat, driving it, search and rescue, law enforcement, etc. I am praying and hoping to go to “A” school and then be stationed at a small boat station where I can work on small boats doing search and rescue---that is my dream. I decided that I just did not want to spend the rest of my time in the Coast Guard behind a desk. I want to be out in the action: saving lives, working hard, learning new skills, drive boats, and a whole lot else. I am continuing to commit it to the Lord in prayer and wait on Him to direct and lead me wherever He wants me to go.

In my Bible reading, I have been continuing through the Gospels. I am reading in the book of John right now. I am thoroughly enjoying reading about the life of Christ and pray that God will continue to make me more and more like Him. I am learning to ever be trusting and relying upon the Lord for strength and courage to continue on the path that He has placed me. He is my hiding place and He is my shield. How precious His Word is to my heart as I am here on this patrol. I do not have much time to feel homesick, but it can be very lonely and knowing that the Lord is my helper makes my heart rejoices.

During one of my watches, I was thinking about the things God has impressed upon my heart the passed several months. When I first came to the Midgett, He sustained me and filled my heart with such explosive joy. A joy that could only come from Him. Now as I look over this passed month being under way, I am impressed with the peace God has placed in my heart that truly surpasses all understanding. He sustains me every step of this journey. I am not on an easy road nor is it well traveled, but the Lord is at my side, He holds my hand, and because He is with me, I shall not be afraid. He has made me His…so I press on with joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Destroying Our Idols

God's Will or Your Own?

THE MISSION

THE MISSION

Written for my family as they move to Cameroon, Africa to share Jesus love with the people there.

Rejoicing in all God has done.
In your lives, I see Him displayed
As your greatest treasure of all;
Your mission: to proclaim His name.

Fix Your eyes on Christ…Run hard to the goal.
Consider the work He has done, He has saved your souls!



Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD BY GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Cheering you on as you go
As you make much of Jesus today,
Considering all else as loss
Compared to the Savior’s name.

Fight the battle of faith…stand firm in Christ.
Trust Him with all of your heart, give Him your life.



Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD BY GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Praying for you in my heart.
May God’s sustaining grace push you on
To follow Christ outside of the camp,
Calling the nations to join the song!

Jesus is mighty to save
For while yet sinners He died in our place.
Shout---shout His praise For He has given us grace!


Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD IN HIS GRIP OF GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Take the Adventure

Waite Memories

More Like Christ Music

More Like Christ Music
CLICK ME!

A Message All Believers Must Listen To