31 December 2010

With God I Shall Do Valiantly

The Lord turned to Him and said, Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hands.

But Lord, how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.


I will be with you and I will strike down all the Midianites together.


--Judges 6:14-16



To set the stage, The Angel of the LORD has just come to Gideon with a mission to rescue the people of Israel from the hands of the Midianites. As I read this passage this morning, the words seemed to jump off the page at me. I have read the story of Gideon before, but these verses struck a chord in my heart. God had a job for Gideon to do, and Gideon was not stupid…He knew He could not do it. He is listening to the LORD give him the mission, “ to rescue Israel in the strength you have,” At this point it is kind of like Gideon raises his hands to stop the Lord from going on, “But God, what strength? I don’t have any strength. You are looking at the least qualified man for the job. You must have gotten me mixed up with someone else because I cannot do this.”


However God did not make a mistake, and He answered Gideon, “I will be with you.”


Gideon’s strength (or lack there of) was not what mattered, what mattered was the fact that God had a mission for Gideon to carry out, and He would cause Gideon to accomplish the task. God does not seek out people who have the ability to do His work, He calls people who are weak and “unqualified” so that His power and might are seen through their inability. The key to carrying out God’s work is not our strength, but God’s presence.


I feel a lot like Gideon. I am here on the Midgett as His witness, but I am so weak to accomplish the mission He has given me to shine His glory among these people. I feel like I am the least articulate person in the world, and I see so many unbelievers who could probably defend my faith better than I could. I am fearful, filled with worries and such an unlikely candidate to minister to these people…and I just want to tell God, “I CAN’T DO THIS. THIS IS AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK THAT I AM COMPLETELY UNQUALIFIED TO CARRY OUT.” And I can just see Him smiling at me patiently nodding His head and saying, “I know…that is why I called you to do it.” All I can see are the impossibilities, but that just goes to show you how limited my view from here is. God can see the big picture, and He is not limited by my limitations.


The mission He has given me to accomplish here does not rest upon my ability nor upon my strength, but upon His power and might. I so easily forget that His work cannot fail. He is with me here on the Midgett and He will accomplish His work.


So He calls me to go forth in the strength I have…and my first response is “what strength?” And His response is, I AM WITH YOU…I WILL ACCOMPLISH THIS MISSION. So I go forth in my weakness, in my inability, in all the impossibilities that weigh me down, and in all the limitations that hold me back…I go forth not because I can but because God is with me and He is the one who is accomplishing His work here. I can do nothing, but through Christ I can do all things.


I am a lot like Gideon. But what the amazing thing is that the same God who caused Gideon to accomplish a seemingly impossible task is also the same God who enables me to do His work here on the Midgett. He does not change from day to day…He is the same yesterday, today, and forever. His love never fails, and His faithfulness is new every morning. So I press on because He is with me; I press on becasue with God I shall do valiantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Destroying Our Idols

God's Will or Your Own?

THE MISSION

THE MISSION

Written for my family as they move to Cameroon, Africa to share Jesus love with the people there.

Rejoicing in all God has done.
In your lives, I see Him displayed
As your greatest treasure of all;
Your mission: to proclaim His name.

Fix Your eyes on Christ…Run hard to the goal.
Consider the work He has done, He has saved your souls!



Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD BY GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Cheering you on as you go
As you make much of Jesus today,
Considering all else as loss
Compared to the Savior’s name.

Fight the battle of faith…stand firm in Christ.
Trust Him with all of your heart, give Him your life.



Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD BY GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Praying for you in my heart.
May God’s sustaining grace push you on
To follow Christ outside of the camp,
Calling the nations to join the song!

Jesus is mighty to save
For while yet sinners He died in our place.
Shout---shout His praise For He has given us grace!


Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD IN HIS GRIP OF GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Take the Adventure

Waite Memories

More Like Christ Music

More Like Christ Music
CLICK ME!

A Message All Believers Must Listen To