28 September 2010

#11 GOFAST~ Midgett Adventures #3

September 1, 2010

This morning began, well not so bright, but definitely early as the Bridge (You could call the Bridge the center of operations where we steer and run the boat) piped the boat lowering detail to the starboard side boat deck at 0400. We all know what that means---GOFAST. Now so you keep up on speed with me as I tell you all that happened today, let me give you the run down on what a gofast is. Gofast is our term for a boat that appears to be suspicious of illegal drug trafficking. So needless to say all of us on boat lowering detail jumped out of our racks and hurriedly got dressed. I pulled on my coveralls and boots, grabbed my hard hat and took off only to turn around once I climbed the ladder to the mess deck because I forgot my PFD (life jacket). So I got that and made my way to the starboard side main deck. Some other seaman had already made it out and soon we were manned and ready. I was on the sea painter, but once they piped to set Law Enforcement Phase I, I had to go back to my berthing and get in my uniform because once they set phase II, I am billeted on the Bridge where I keep logs, work the Engine Order Telegraph, or whatever else needs to be done.

As it turned out, nothing much came from our early morning wake up call---just another fishing vessel. We were all disappointed to say the least. However as always we received new intel of another suspicious vessel 76 nautical miles away. So we went on turbines and sped across the Pacific. About 1430, As I was sitting in my rack studying, the GOFAST alarm goes off. It is a loud pitched flat line sound, “GOFAST, GOFAST. A GOFAST has been reported 10 miles (give or take) from Midgett. All hands man your GOFAST billets.” So once again I jumped out of my rack and quickly made my way up to the Bridge. The Bridge was hectic with officers at every turn. The Commanding Officer and Executive Officer analyzed the situation at hand. Boarding teams were manning up on the boat decks and the boats were beginning to be lowered. MID I was away to Starboard first and raring to go, but MID II was having radio difficulties. It took several minutes to fix the problem and lower the boat into the water. Things did not seem to be going very well…just to many little mistakes and too many mechanical problems. Even though MID II had a late start they were making it to the location of the GOFAST before MID I because MID I had steered a wrong course due to a gps failure. So we had MID II stopped two miles in front of us waiting on MID I which was way off our port quarter. So finally we had both boats together, we finally spotted the GOFAST and the GOFAST spotted us and bolted. But it appeared that it did not see the small boats because of the size of the wakes. So here it was running from us but running right into our small boats!

Spirits on the Bridge were soaring for once we might actually have something. As our small boats were in hot pursuit they could see that the GOFAST through overboard two bags, which we recovered. Finally after getting permission we boarded the vessel and found drugs.

So as it stands we have three detainees on board for an indefinite amount of time until we receive further orders on what to do with them. At the present the vessel is being thoroughly searched and so far we have found at least a hundred huge blocks of cocaine, and we still may find more. So all in all it has been a very successful and rewarding day. We found bad guys, got to go really, really fast, and we may even be able to shoot some guns and sink this boat…we’ll see. Our Captain says any day is a good day if you have a combo like that.

So I end this night thanking God for how He works and gives us exciting times like this---opportunities where we can make a difference in other peoples lives by stopping something bad like this from going on. It is a good reminder that we do have a purpose being out here in the middle of no where surrounded by  a whole lot of water! We do have a mission to accomplish and it is within our reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Destroying Our Idols

God's Will or Your Own?

THE MISSION

THE MISSION

Written for my family as they move to Cameroon, Africa to share Jesus love with the people there.

Rejoicing in all God has done.
In your lives, I see Him displayed
As your greatest treasure of all;
Your mission: to proclaim His name.

Fix Your eyes on Christ…Run hard to the goal.
Consider the work He has done, He has saved your souls!



Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD BY GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Cheering you on as you go
As you make much of Jesus today,
Considering all else as loss
Compared to the Savior’s name.

Fight the battle of faith…stand firm in Christ.
Trust Him with all of your heart, give Him your life.



Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD BY GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Praying for you in my heart.
May God’s sustaining grace push you on
To follow Christ outside of the camp,
Calling the nations to join the song!

Jesus is mighty to save
For while yet sinners He died in our place.
Shout---shout His praise For He has given us grace!


Press on, HOPE IN GOD…IN HIS HANDS you are safe. UNDER HIS WINGS…you are held---
you are HELD IN HIS GRIP OF GRACE.
Take up your cross, follow Christ, let His praises resound.
Be BROKEN AND SPILLED OUT
as you journey HOMEWARD BOUND.


Take the Adventure

Waite Memories

More Like Christ Music

More Like Christ Music
CLICK ME!

A Message All Believers Must Listen To